Register to be a Bone Marrow Donor
Since William’s brothers are not matches as potential bone marrow donors for William, the doctors are looking in bone marrow donor registries for matches. The best way to help William is to help grow the pool of potential donors, thereby increasing the chances of finding a match for William, as well as for anyone else in similar circumstances.
The donation process, called leukapheresis, takes about 2 to 4 hours and involves no surgery. The What Is A Bone Marrow Tranplant page discusses more about what the process is like. Here are some registries in various countries where you can sign up to be a donor. Please refer to Bone Marrow Donors Worldwide’s website for more registries.
- United States–you can register and order a donor kit via Be The Match.
- Singapore–you can register and order a donor kit via the Bone Marrow Donor Programme.
- Hong Kong–you can register at any of the 7 locations of the Hong Kong Red Cross.
- Canada–you can register and order a donor kit from the OneMatch Stem & Marrow Network.
- Malaysia–you can register at the Malaysian Marrow Donor Registry in Kuala Lumpur.
- For those in other countries around the world, you can find a registry near you from the Bone Marrow Donors Worldwide’s list. MarrowDrives.org also has additional list of registries.
These registries work together to provide doctors with a large pool to search from looking for potential donors. The larger the pool, the better the chances are for everyone who needs a donor. Vince and Marvin have already registered ourselves as donors, and we hope you will too.Make a Financial Contribution to The Leukemia & Lymphoma SocietyFor those of you who are not able to donate bone marrow due to medical reasons or otherwise, please consider making a donation to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to help others who are fighting blood-related cancers.Help Spread The WordPlease help us get the word out to your friends and family and have them visit this site!